The Uruguay international, who has entered the final year of his contract, had been deemed surplus to requirements by new Barcelona head coach Ronald Koeman and is said to have already agreed personal terms with the Serie A champions.
Barcelona’s treatment of Suarez, the club’s third highest goalscorer of all-time, is said to have played a factor in Lionel Messi’s decision to hand in a shock transfer request.
The 33-year-old was forced to perform a dramatic U-turn on Friday with Barcelona unwilling to sanction his sale and reports claim Messi’s decision to stay for another season could persuade Suarez to follow suit and commit his short-term future to the Catalan giants, even were it to mean reduced playing time.
Barcelona are, however, already firming up their plans to replace the former Liverpool forward with Lyon skipper Memphis Depay.
The Netherlands international spent an unhappy two-and-a-half year spell at Manchester United following a big-money move from PSV Eindhoven in 2015.
Depay has steadily rebuilt his career in Ligue 1 and recovered from a serious knee injury to spearhead Lyon’s unlikely run to last season’s Champions League semi finals.
Asked about the possibility of him leaving Lyon this summer, Depay said last week: ‘I do not see the future, I do not know if I will do the full season here. I have been here for four years, I became captain.
‘After you have to look at your career, there is no Champions League. At the moment I don’t know.’