Diego Simeone suggested that he may not be the manager of Atletico Madrid next season, after a shock defeat to third-tier side Cornella in the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.
Simeone’s side conceded just seven minutes into the game but could not find their way back into it, losing 1-0, despite fielding a strong team which including the likes of Joao Felix, Saul and Lucas Torreira.
The 50-year-old has been in charge of Atleti since 2011 and his contract runs until 2022, but despite their form generally being good, he has hinted at an exit.
Atletico are top of La Liga, two points clear of Real Madrid with two games in hand, but this could be Simeone’s last season in charge.
Asked if he would look to bounce back from the shock cup loss next season, Simeone said: ‘If we are still here next year.
‘Things change all the time in football, and you have to be open to all possibilities. I’m very happy here but you have to be open to whatever the club decides,’
‘We always want to win but today our opponents deserved to go through, just like last year,’ he said.
‘They competed well, they played the game they wanted to, they won the second balls, they kept up their intensity and we have to congratulate them as they overpowered us.’
As mentioned, Atletico have been excellent in La Liga so far this season and look on course to win a second league title under Simeone.
They have conceded just six goals in 15 games so far, losing just once, while Real and Barcelona struggle for their best form in second and third respectively.