Manchester United are closing in on a deal to sign Carlos Baleba from Brighton & Hove Albion, with the transfer saga taking a major turn on Wednesday.
According to several sources, United and Brighton are now close to a full agreement for the Cameroon international. The Red Devils have tabled an offer worth around £60 million, with a further £5 million in add-ons, and personal terms are believed to already be in place after Baleba’s camp reportedly agreed a framework with United some months ago.
The Camerronian international is understood to be preparing to travel to Manchester for a medical, with a five-year contract said to be ready for him to sign once the paperwork is finalised. The move would end a transfer pursuit that has dragged on for well over a year, with United having tracked the 22-year-old since his breakout 2024/25 campaign at the Amex Stadium.
United’s interest first intensified under former manager Ruben Amorim, who saw Baleba as the ideal profile to anchor his midfield. Brighton, however, held firm on a valuation north of £100 million last summer, a figure United’s hierarchy were unwilling to match at the time. That standoff forced United to look elsewhere, and they eventually completed deals for Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos this summer.
Baleba’s stance has shifted significantly over the past year. Reports throughout the season suggested his camp had grown “super keen” on a switch to Old Trafford, with his representatives said to have made direct contact with United to push the move along. That willingness from the player’s side appears to have finally aligned with a fee both clubs can accept.
Brighton have a long history of sanctioning high-value departures, having previously cashed in on the likes of Moises Caicedo, Joao Pedro, and Alexis Mac Allister for substantial fees. Baleba, who joined from Lille in 2023, has made well over 100 appearances for the Seagulls and has established himself as one of the Premier League’s most sought-after young midfielders.
Should the move go through, it would represent a significant statement of intent from Manchester United as they continue reshaping their midfield options this window. Further confirmation is expected once the medical and formalities are completed.
AFCON 2025










