Harry Maguire has expressed heartbreak after being left out of England’s squad for the 2026 FIFA World Cup by head coach Thomas Tuchel.
The Manchester United defender described the decision as “shocking” and painful despite enjoying a strong return to form at club level this season.
In an emotional message posted on social media, Maguire said:
“I was confident I could have played a major part this summer for my country after the season I’ve had. I’ve been left shocked and gutted by the decision.
“I’ve loved nothing more than putting that shirt on and representing my country over the years. I wish the players all the best this summer.”
The 33-year-old centre-back, who has earned 66 caps for England, fought his way back into Manchester United’s starting line-up and became a regular figure under manager Michael Carrick, starting 14 of the club’s last 16 Premier League matches.
His improved performances earned him a recall to the England squad in March, where he impressed during a 1-1 draw against Uruguay before making a late appearance in the 1-0 defeat to Japan.
Despite those performances, Tuchel had already hinted that Maguire was not among his preferred centre-back options heading into the World Cup.
Speaking after the Uruguay friendly, the England boss praised Maguire’s qualities but openly admitted that other defenders were ahead of him in the pecking order.
“I see Ezri Konsa ahead, I see Marc Guehi ahead,” Tuchel said. “Trevoh Chalobah on the level of mobility was slightly ahead of him. Also John Stones.”
Maguire has represented England at three major tournaments and was widely expected to make Tuchel’s final 26-man squad for the tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
England are scheduled to depart for the United States on June 1 ahead of warm-up matches against New Zealand and Costa Rica before opening their World Cup campaign against Croatia on June 17.
The Three Lions will also face Ghana and Panama in the group stage as they chase a first World Cup title since 1966.
AFCON 2025










