FC Barcelona officially unveiled midfielder Rodrigo Hernández Cascante, known as Rodri, on Tuesday, 18 August 2026, after completing his signing from Manchester City. The 30-year-old Spain international has agreed a four-year contract with the Catalan club that runs until 30 June 2030.
Barcelona reached an agreement with City for a transfer fee reported in the region of £65 million (€76.5 million), structured as an initial €60 million payment plus performance-related add-ons. The deal came after City rejected earlier, lower bids from the La Liga champions. Rodri was entering the final 12 months of his contract at the Etihad Stadium and had drawn strong interest from Real Madrid, but Barcelona secured his preference and ultimately the signature.
Rodri arrived in Barcelona on Monday evening and underwent a medical examination on Tuesday morning before formalising the paperwork. He was presented later that day at Spotify Camp Nou. Upon landing, he told reporters it had been “an intense few days” but that he was “very happy” the move was resolved. “Playing for FC Barcelona is a dream,” he said. “I can’t wait to be with my teammates, many of whom I already know from the national team. It’s time to get to work and give my very best.” He added that his aims include winning the Champions League “and everything else that comes our way.”
The signing reunites Rodri with several members of Spain’s 2026 World Cup-winning squad already at Barcelona, including Lamine Yamal, Pedri, Gavi, Dani Olmo, Pau Cubarsí and others. He joins Hansi Flick’s side as a high-profile reinforcement in midfield, bringing leadership, tactical intelligence and experience from seven trophy-laden seasons at Manchester City. During his time in England he made 298 appearances and collected 12 major honours, among them four Premier League titles, the 2023 Champions League (in which he scored the winning goal in the final), two FA Cups and three EFL Cups.
Rodri’s individual accolades are equally impressive. He won the Ballon d’Or in 2024 and was named Player of the Tournament as he captained Spain to World Cup glory in the summer of 2026, following the European Championship success two years earlier. His final seasons at City were disrupted by injury, including a serious knee problem and more recent issues, and he has undergone minor back surgery that is expected to keep him out at the start of the new campaign.
The move marks Rodri’s return to Spanish club football for the first time since leaving Atlético Madrid for City in 2019. He began his professional career at Villarreal before the switch to Atlético. At Barcelona he is expected to form part of a competitive midfield unit that already features Pedri, Frenkie de Jong, Gavi and others, offering the kind of positional discipline and tempo control long associated with the club’s traditional style of play.
Barcelona’s statement confirmed the agreement with Manchester City for the transfer of Rodrigo Hernández Cascante and his commitment to the club until 2030. The presentation took place without a public audience, with further opportunities for fans to see their new player expected in the coming days, including around the Joan Gamper Trophy fixture.
The capture of the World Cup Golden Ball winner represents a significant statement in the transfer window for the defending La Liga champions as they look to build on recent domestic success and challenge strongly in Europe.
AFCON 2025










